Sleep is more important than you think

Kayla Downey, Staff Writer

Yacob Reyes I The Hawkeye
HCC student EliuDaniel Reyes catches some sleep in the student lounge before his 8 a.m. class.

Back to school season is upon us and students everywhere are fighting to keep their eyes open during class. Between school, work and maintaining a social life, sleep is not always made the priority it should be.

With the increasing workload imposed on students, they often have to adapt their sleeping schedules to compensate. Often straining their eyes late at night to complete coursework. 

This routine is incredibly harmful to both the student and their grades. As a result, most students struggle to stay awake in class.

Studies have shown that, contrary to popular belief, sleeping in on the weekends does not make up for any lost hours. The health concerns of a restless night cannot be reversed. Once sleep is lost, it stays gone. 

The American Academy of Sleep Medicine has even linked poor sleeping habits to diabetes, mental health issues and behavioral problems.

This sleep epidemic can last into late adulthood causing a 33% increase of dementia and add 3-5 years to the brain according to John Hopkins University.

Their research has also shown that lack of sleep can affect more than just one person, reporting there are nearly 6,000 car accidents a year due to a “drowsy driver” and that 1 in 25 adults fall asleep behind the wheel in a month.

On averageteens should be resting approximately nine hours every night. By implementing a planned sleep schedule, students help maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Murdoch University has also found that studying the night before an assessment has been proven to cause lower scores. Ultimately, students should be willing to put the books to fully take advantage of a good night’s sleep, especially before tests. 

Other ways to help the body rest better are not eating at least two hours before going to bednot doing homework in your bed to avoid it becoming a stressful place and turning off all electronics and removing from the room. While many teens do use cellphones as an alarm, turning off notifications to avoid interruptions can improve sleep.

The National Sleep Foundation found that sleeping with the TV on can cause the brain to not fully relax causing the person to feel tired the next day. 

Sleep can improve healthgrades and overall safety. Results will not happen overnight, but it will help in the long run.