The student news site of Hillsborough Community College.

Hawkeye

SGA Back to School Bash

Jason Kruse, Staff

Hillsborough Community College’s Brandon Campus hosted its fall semester Back to School Bash on Sept. 13-14. The event is to welcome new students who enrolled for classes at HCC, as well as returning students who are still taking or finishing classes at HCC.

A back to school bash is what most would expect. It is a celebration hosted by the Student Government Association. SGA provides things like food, entertainment, crafts and a DJ.

The overall purpose of a back to school bash is to kick off a brand-new semester with festivities, get students involved with clubs, and overall to have students be a part of their college.

Brandon HCC’s Back to School Bash included pasta, rock climbing wall, zip lining, henna art, a photo booth in the cafeteria that included silly props and a green screen, airbrushed t shirts, and a booth to make candy apples.

Sabrina Dueck, a senator for SGA Brandon, mentioned a new club the Brandon campus has decided to start called Circle K International.

According to the president of Circle K International, Chris Hulme, Circle K International is a community service club that will do community service projects like soup kitchens, working at animal shelters and even roadside cleaning. The overall purpose of the club is to give back to the community.

As a part of the many activities SGA does for their campuses, they are taking the opportunity to thank the local fire department. SGA Brandon during the Back to School Bash had a banner that students can sign and give to the local fire department. The banner was to thank them for not only doing their jobs, but also to thank them for speaking at a 9/11 memorial service they hosted on Sept. 12. The department reminds students just how important the role of first responders are in society and in our communities.

Contact President Chris Hulme at president.hccbrandoncki@gmail.com for more information on the Circle K International Club. Other clubs available at HCC Brandon Campus include the Thespis Society of HCC Brandon, Aquaculture, Collegiate 100, Engineering Society, Phi Theta Kappa and EGen (Electronic Generation).

For information visit: https://www.hccfl.edu/ssem/student-activities/clubs-and-organizations.aspx

Jason Kruse