Hawkeye

You may find your new best friend

Family fun at Riot Fest

Family fun at Riot Fest

Jason Turner

Jason Turner

Family fun at Riot Fest

Jason Turner, Staff

When writing some recent stories, I got to thinking about live music. Festival season is about to begin with Welcome to Rockville in Jacksonville. This is the last year for the Warped Tour as we know it. Slayer announced this will be their farewell tour. Evanescence and Lindsey Stirling are teaming up to present a grand-scale show. Logic is bringing his rap music to the masses. No matter what your taste in music, you can find something you will love. For many people, live music is their way of connecting with others and is a chance to escape the problems of the world and get refreshed.

Music, by its nature, speaks to the emotions and deep feelings of people. Live music does it even more. There is nothing like seeing a live version of a song that has special meaning to you. I remember a few years ago, I was inside the auditorium gates with people who had early entry to the NINJA tour, which was Nine Inch Nails and Jane’s Addiction. We heard the end of sound check for Nine Inch Nails. They played “Something I Can Never Have,” which was released in 1989. There was a woman in her 30s who was sitting on the ground singing along and crying. The music touched her so much. I could see the true joy in her face from hearing the song with a different arrangement than on the album.

Not only do people connect on a greater level to the music, they connect with other people at the shows. People who do not know each other are all there to see something they love. People sing along and smile at each other.

I recently went to see Alice Cooper. When I went to my seat, there was only one other person in my row, and he happened to be sitting next to me. He introduced himself as Hunter, and I found out he is a Southshore student who was there to write a review of a live performance for his humanities course. He and I talked to each other about shows we had seen and bands we liked. We also talked about some of our favorite Alice Cooper songs and what to expect from the show. It was nice to meet someone from a background completely different from mine, but who enjoyed some of the same things I like.

To experience a fun audience, I recommend going to the Slayer show in Orlando June 15. They are a metal institution and are bringing other great bands with them, but it’s the other people in attendance you may enjoy the most. People, mostly men in their 40s and 50s, yell “SLAYEEERRR” at each other before and after the show, as well as between bands. These are people having the opportunity to relive their youth and wax nostalgic with hundreds of people they don’t know but with whom they have a common bond.

Festivals, by their nature, are great places to meet people and learn about some new music or get reintroduced to old favorites.

I went to Riot Fest in Chicago in 2016 to see bands I had listened to for many years.

Jason Turner
Juliette Lewis at Riot Fest

I had to the opportunity to see the Misfits with Glenn Danzig (first time they played together since 1983), NOFX, Jimmy Eat World, the Vandals, the Meat Puppets and Bob Mould. I also got to see newer bands like Bad Cop/Bad Cop, Pierce the Veil, Nots, Neck Deep, Touché Amoré, Jule Vera, 3Teeth and Bleached. There was a good mix of bands I already knew and loved, and ones I was able to discover.

Festivals are about more than the music. Many have circuses and carnival-type rides like Ferris wheels. There are booths where vendors sell all kinds of products geared to festival-goers. There are chances to meet bands and other artists. You can find all types of activists and socially-aware people to engage in conversation. Many festivals are viewed as “lifestyle” events with music as a background. You will be able to find people who are not there to just see bands. They want to meet like-minded people.

Jason Turner
War on Women at Warped 2017

Since 1995, the Warped Tour has traveled the country. It started as a punk rock festival, but has since expanded to include other genres of music. They even had Katy Perry on one of her early national tours. What is good about Warped Tour is there are no real headliners. Every band, no matter how popular, plays 35 minutes and the schedule changes from city to city. Someone who closes the show one day, may play at 2 p.m. the next day. Last year at Warped, Kaleb Sistrunk, a tutor on the Plant City campus, saw me and we talked for a while. We had worked together but had no idea we both liked the same kind of music.

Jason Turner
Sonic Boom Six at Warped 2017

This year will be the last Warped Tour in its current inception. Many people were expecting it to be a “Warped Tour Greatest Hits” with acts who have played before and are the most popular. When the acts were announced in March, many people were shocked. I like how it is, however, because it is just like all the others have been. The tour is like it has been every year, with a few legacy acts and a lot of current bands performing. For the Tampa show, some of the acts are The Interrupters, Motionless in White, Less Than Jake, Simple Plan, Twiztid, Wage War, Capstan and Doll Skin. The tour comes to the Mid-Florida Amphitheatre Aug. 4, and I am excited.

Jason Turner
Frank Carter joining the crowd

Welcome to Rockville is coming to Jacksonville the last weekend of April. As at other festivals, there will be a wide range of acts, though mostly in the hard rock and metal vein. Some of the more accomplished acts I am excited to see include Ozzy Osbourne, Foo Fighters, Billy Idol, Bullet for my Valentine, Stone Sour, Quicksand, Atreyu, Stick to Your Guns,  and Halestorm. Turnstile, Them Evils, Joyous Wolf and Bad Wolves are among some of the newer bands I want to see. The headliners play longer sets at this festival. If you go, please talk to people and get to know them. Who knows? You may find your new best friend.

Live music matters and I recommend everyone go to shows and festivals to experience them. They keep me going and invigorate me.

If you see me at a show, come say hello. I might take your picture and publish it on Hawkeyenews.net.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “You may find your new best friend”

1. Ashton Ullery on August 28th, 2018 9:24 am

I think going to concerts and musical festivals are great ways to experience all kinds of things, including new people and new music. I enjoy going to concerts and I have learned so much by going to them. I went to the 98 Rockfest in 2016 and the headline band was Soundgarden, 3 months after I had seen them Chris Cornell had passed away. It was kind of surreal, I thought that during his performance he wasn’t really into it. But I never would have thought what he was going through would take his life. I also saw Iron Maiden last summer and I was surprised to the wide variety of different ages. There were many people around my age, but there was also older people, around my dad’s age and older. I also learned that my boyfriend was at this concert. I did not know him at the time but we were at the same venue, and one year later we meet each other. Music is a great way to bring people together and gain new experiences.

2. Staff Staff on October 5th, 2018 12:39 pm

Cornell had issues with things happening at that show; he talked about it the next night. The Maiden show was great.

3. Sarah Snyder on August 29th, 2018 2:46 pm

I went to Warped Tour this year! It was such a fun time and I got to see so many bands I loved. I remember when the lineup was first released and not everyone was happy about it, but I had a great time and still got to see awesome bands. I also crowd surfed for the first time and got to relive my middle school self. I have only been to a few festival-style concerts and I remember them all being a great time. I even went to Reggae Rise Up in St. Pete and saw the Dirty Heads and it was amazing! I thoroughly enjoyed this article!

4. Staff Staff on October 5th, 2018 12:37 pm
  5. Magdalynn Pollitt on August 30th, 2018 6:43 pm

Music is such a great avenue for so many different things, whether it be for inspiration in writing, or community with others, or just a soulful experience. Music is one of my main passions and I hope to be able to incorporate it into my future career as a journalist.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• You may find your new best friend

Arts & Entertainment

Itty Bitty, Instagramming Plant City

• You may find your new best friend

Arts & Entertainment

HCC galleries feature a Fountain of Pythons and Cutting Edge Fine Art

• You may find your new best friend

Arts & Entertainment

Get happy listening to Shonen Knife

• You may find your new best friend

Arts & Entertainment

Say goodbye to your childhood

• Arts & Entertainment

Elephant Jane takes the cake

• You may find your new best friend

Arts & Entertainment

“The House of Tomorrow” offers hope

• You may find your new best friend

Arts & Entertainment

Some boys love dolls

• You may find your new best friend

Arts & Entertainment

Prometheus returns

• You may find your new best friend

Arts & Entertainment

P. Smith: Unfiltered @Gallery 221

• You may find your new best friend

Arts & Entertainment

Today Norway, tomorrow the world

The student news site of Hillsborough Community College.
You may find your new best friend