Hawkeye

HCC galleries feature a Fountain of Pythons and Cutting Edge Fine Art

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Look at the Exhibit

A Look at the Exhibit

Madison Schleicher

A Look at the Exhibit

Madison Schleicher

Madison Schleicher

A Look at the Exhibit

Madison Schleicher, Staff

A Florida-based photography collective is the first of the semester to be featured at the HCC art gallery in Ybor City. The collection was featured at the HCC Performing Arts Building, Aug. 20- Sept. 20. The collection of photographs and mixed media was organized by the photography collective Fountain of Pythons and sponsored in part by the Arts Council of Hillsborough County and the Hillsborough County board of County Commissioners.

The Fountain of Pythons photography collective’s mission “is to provide a regular forum to incubate, discuss and share new works, knowledge, and resources in support of each individual’s studio practice, as well as build a foundation for collaboration, exhibition, and engagement of the public with the fruits of that practice.” They are the first of several art collectives that will soon grace the walls of the HCC galleries and provide students the opportunity for enrichment in the field of fine arts.

The exhibition was entitled “Take Me Down” and featured works by Wendy Babcox, Jeremy Chandler, Shawn Cheatham, Marcus DiSieno, Becky Flanders, Forrest MacDonald, Noelle Mason, Kym O’Donnell and Selina Roman. The cover image for “Take Me Down” was “Double Sky” by William Douglass. Artist Jeremy Chandler was also the 2008 photographer Laureate for the city of Tampa and has exhibited at notable venues in the United States and abroad.

Becky Flanders early works explore gender construction through female standing urination. Many of her images demonstrate the unique perspective and view from between the legs. Flanders shares, “we have been meeting regularly since 2009, I think, to show and discuss the works we make, share resources skills and knowledge, and plan exhibitions together.” She adds, “…and you can read my vulture’s epic in purple and pencil on the wall,” when explaining her own mixed media art. Overall, the theme of nature is prevalent in the group’s work.

The Ybor City Campus gallery hours are Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., and Tuesdays from Noon-7 p.m.

Located at the Dale Mabry campus of Hillsborough Community College, Gallery 221@HCC is a visual arts gallery dedicated to adding educational and cultural value to the community by exhibiting artists working in various media. Gallery 221@HCC is funded in part by Student Activities Fees and by the Dale Mabry Student Government Association.

Currently on display in Gallery 3@HCC is a solo show by Roberto Marquez. The show will run from Sept. 17 – Oct. 25, with an artist reception, Wednesday, Oct. 10, from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. Working primarily with paint and ceramics, Marquez’s art explores humor in a socio-political context. Marquez’s work draws influence from his own perspective and experience as an artist from Antigua, a country that has endured a long history of colonization.

Also, on display at Gallery 221@HCC, Aug. 20 – Oct. 4, is an exhibition entitled “Making Sense” by April Hartley, Catherine Joslyn, Carolyn Kossar, Gary Schmitt and Matthew Wicks. The exhibition explores fiber-based art forms and techniques in contemporary art practice. The fiber and mixed media objects included in the display highlight the creative potential of artistic crafts.