Hawkeye

Killer Queen

Back to Article
Back to Article

Killer Queen

Movie Poster in Theaters

Movie Poster in Theaters

Movie Poster in Theaters

Movie Poster in Theaters

Yesenia Bustamante, Hawkeye Staff

Bohemian Rhapsody, one of the year’s most anticipated film, was released earlier this month and it took the audience through the whirlwind life of Freddie Mercury and the English rock band, Queen.

The anticipation of the movie has been long awaited, as well as the interpretation of Freddie Mercury’s sexuality, how and to what extent it would be played out on the big screen.

The central location of the movie is set in London, England. It captures the band’s path from 1970 to 1985.

The movie opened with the hard beginnings of Mercury’s young adult life and the separation of “Smile,” Brian May and Roger Taylor’s first band. Although compared to the real-life version of how the band came about, the film dramatizes this. It explored the band’s initial chemistry, as well as the manner in which they delegated what songs would make it on their albums.

The movie expanded on the band’s creation of their most popular songs and how their iconic sounds were produced. The way they created sounds with every day household items. The energy of each performance by the actors was eerily realistic to the real band’s performances. From the creation of Bohemian Rhapsody to the riveting concert, Live Aid, that continues to this day, to be one of their most memorable concerts ever.

Rami Malek, who played the role of Freddie Mercury, delivered an amazing performance as the late Rockstar. He was very in tune with the manner that Mercury carried himself, from his poise to his flamboyant way of performing. Even Malek’s facial expressions seemed to perfectly mirror those of the late Mercury. Malek stated that to prepare himself for his audition for this role, he read extensively about the singer, as well as interview his former bandmates. Upon receiving the role and wrapping up production of the film, Malek states, “Here’s a man that would sing ‘We Are The Champions’ in an arena to thousands of people and they’re all singing it back to him.” He notes, “His ability to unify people, no matter who they are, was so far ahead of its time. I can’t think of anyone else that was capable of that.”

As with most movies, there is bound to be parts left out, as you cannot expect someone’s lifetime to be squeezed into a two-hour film. Yet, most of Mercury’s notable partners, both men and women, were reduced to only one female, Mary Austin and Jim Hutton who was Mercury’s partner until his death in 1991.

The bands recording sessions during the film, gave viewers a piece of what it was like to be in the presence of great music being created.  Mercury’s way of interacting with the audience throughout the band’s performances was captivating, which was well delivered in the film.

Yesenia Bustamante, Staff Writer

Yesenia Bustamante is a Staff Writer for The Hawkeye

Yesenia Bustamante was born in San Diego, California but raised the majority of her life in Florida....

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Killer Queen”

1. Emma Oliver on January 29th, 2019 12:32 pm

I agree that the anticipation was immense while waiting for the release of Bohemian Rhapsody. The film definitely expanded younger generations knowledge on the band, Queen and for a lot of them they found their “new favorite band”. The movie reignited people’s love for the world-renowned British rock band. I would also have to agree that Rami Malek played the role of Freddie Mercury to astonishing perfection. He studied every possible aspect to entrench himself within the role of the eclectic rock star.

2. Carla on January 30th, 2019 11:53 pm

I have always been a fan of Queen. My childhood memories always went back to me singing their songs and enjoying every part of it, it made me so happy when I saw that the movie was coming up! Queen deserves that tribute, and to be remembered. Also, the movie itself was, in my opinion, the best I watched in 2018, a complete masterpiece.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Arts & Entertainment

Sunday morning at the Indie Flea Market

• Killer Queen

Arts & Entertainment

Not Just An Alcoholic

• Killer Queen

Arts & Entertainment

In Our Own Backyard

• Arts & Entertainment

Please keep all hands and feet inside

• Killer Queen

Arts & Entertainment

One Child Nation

• Arts & Entertainment

More magic arriving at Hogsmede

• Killer Queen

Arts & Entertainment

There’s a new festival in town

• Killer Queen

Arts & Entertainment

Yes, punk rock has rules

• Arts & Entertainment

Florida Strawberry Festival is back

• Arts & Entertainment

Find out what’s new and upcoming part 2

The student news site of Hillsborough Community College.
Killer Queen